Port Townsend Public Library
Port Townsend Public Library project is a renovation of an existing 1913 Carnegie Library and the 1868 Charles Pink House (a historic Victorian house) in Port Townsend Washington. The library has the highest per capita library use in the state of Washington and has far exceeded the available space. The phased project includes a 14,000 SF new addition to the library. The site design incorporates two adjacent properties to create a campus like setting for the new library and Pink House. The design focuses on creating a new library entrance, a belvedere overlook and terrace for an annual festival and parade, and a central outdoor gathering space. Site design for this project also includes pedestrian and vehicular circulation, book drop, new and renovated parking, and incorporates two small structures for outdoor bicycle parking and garden storage.
Sustainable design principles were employed and featured drought tolerant plants and no irrigation. Two of the existing buildings are on the National Historic register. Jennifer* provided master planning and site design through design development for this project. The site development and the new addition comprise Phase 4 of this project with the first three phases already completed. Phase 4 completion is anticipated in the future as funding becomes available.
*While principal with another firm
Client: City of Port Townsend
Architect: Cardwell Architecture, pc
Location: Port Townsend Washington